Grow Your Own Picnic - Summer
Grow Your Own Picnic
Sow it. Grow it. Share it! - Summer Term
A celebration of summer, sunshine and food growing in your school playground.
- Plant a seed, and watch your school garden grow.
- Then share a delicious home-grown lunch with your friends, school and community – on your very own Picnic Day!
- Learn how to grow, cook and prepare home-made dips, sandwiches, salads, and desserts – packed full of nature’s goodness. A picnic feast for the whole community.
Download the full activity pack or individual pages below:
Getting started - planning
How to: Grow Your Own
Learn to grow and cook exciting picnic ingredients in your school, including growing instructions and recipes for the following:
- Potato Salad - recipe and growing tips for potatoes and parsley.
- Broad Bean Dip - recipe and growing tips for broad beans and dill.
- Crudites - serving and growing tips for carrots, radishes and sugar snap peas.
- Herb bread - recipe and growing tips for chives, rosemary, thyme.
- Sandwich fillings - sandwich ideas and growing tips for pea shoots, salad leaves, cress.
- Dessert - strawberry and oat meal muffins, fruit ice cubes and lollies. Grow strawberries, blueberries and edible flower petals.
Share your school picnic news
Join in the schools conversation and appear on our website!
Tweet your news: www.twitter.com/FoodGrowSchools #GrowYourOwnPicnic
Share your photos: www.flickr.com/groups/foodgrowingschools
Pin your ideas: www.pinterest.com/foodgrowschools