Grow Your Own Picnic - Summer
Grow Your Own Picnic
Sow it. Grow it. Share it! - Summer Term
A celebration of summer, sunshine and food growing in your school playground.
- Plant a seed, and watch your school garden grow.
- Then share a delicious home-grown lunch with your friends, school and community – on your very own School Summer Picnic Day!
- Learn how to grow, cook and prepare home-made dips, sandwiches, salads, and desserts – packed full of nature’s goodness. A picnic feast for the whole community.
Download the full activity pack or individual pages below:
Schools Summer Picnic prizes and freebies
Start growing for your summer picnic with free seeds!
- Download the Grow Your Own Picnic pack above then claim your free organic salad mix seeds by clicking here (for London schools only, while supplies last).
- The first 30 schools will also receive a unique variety of seeds from Garden Organic's Heritage Seed Library.
- Don't forget to keep us posted on your growing progress this spring with photos and tweets using #GrowYourOwnPicnic @FoodGrowSchools for a chance to win great prizes including a £500 voucher to GardenSite.co.uk (look out for details in our May newsletter or check back on this page).
Would you also like a free Garden Organic Term Time Garden Planner to help you decide what to plant and when to plant it in time for the end of summer term?
- Complete our schools survey here and we'll send one to your school.
Getting started - planning
How to: Grow Your Own
Learn to grow and cook exciting picnic ingredients in your school, including growing instructions and recipes for the following:
- Potato Salad - recipe and growing tips for potatoes and parsley.
- Broad Bean Dip - recipe and growing tips for broad beans and dill.
- Crudites - serving and growing tips for carrots, radishes and sugar snap peas.
- Herb bread - recipe and growing tips for chives, rosemary, thyme.
- Sandwich fillings - sandwich ideas and growing tips for pea shoots, salad leaves, cress.
- Dessert - strawberry and oat meal muffins, fruit ice cubes and lollies. Grow strawberries, blueberries and edible flower petals.
Share your school picnic news
Join in the schools conversation and win prizes!
Email us at email@example.com
Tweet your photos: www.twitter.com/FoodGrowSchools #GrowYourOwnPicnic @FoodGrowSchools